How to Keep Your Auto Transmission in Good Condition
Auto Transmission Care
Keeping your car transmission in good health is an absolute must, especially in Atlanta traffic. What exactly is a car transmission? According to ATRA, (Auto Transmission Association), Your car’s transmission is the most complicated and least understood major component in your car or truck. In today’s cars, the transmission is a combination of sophisticated hydraulics and computer-controlled electronic components. The transmission is a mechanical component designed to transmit power from a vehicle’s engine to the drive axle, which makes the wheels drive the vehicle. Follow our tips on how to keep your auto transmission in good condition in Marietta, Georiga.
Contact Crown Transmissions to be sure to keep your transmission in good health.
Most car owners who care about the health and performance of their vehicle will remember to rotate the tires and change the oil and oil filter every 3,000-5,000 miles. They know how to check the oil level with the dipstick and replace dirty air filters. Or, they take it to their dealer or a lube station to handle some of these routine maintenance issues.
However, caring for the transmission is not something a lot of car owners give any consideration, but in order to Keep Your Auto Transmission in Good Condition, you must pay special care to the transmission. The engine gets all the glory, but the transmission and drivetrain are what makes the car move. They need to be taken care of by having regular maintenance at your local Marietta transmission center. This keeps the car running well and helps prevent major transmission problems down the road. After all, when you’ve put a lot of mileage on the vehicle, the transmission is often one of the first things to break down over time.
6 Tips to Keep Your Auto Transmission in Good Condition
- Don’t Break the Brake: If you are driving with your foot putting any pressure on the brake pedal, it will add a lot of extra stress to your engine and transmission. Be careful not to overuse the brake in stop and go Marietta traffic. Also, use your parking brake when parked on an incline or decline. This will minimize stress on the parking linkage.
- Check Your Fluid Levels Regularly: Just like your oil pan, in order to keep your auto transmission in good condition, you must check the fluids. The transmission like your oil also has its own dipstick that allows you to check fluid levels. Make sure the levels are good according to your owner’s manual and look for discoloration. Know what color your transmission fluid is supposed to be and get your car checked out if the fluid is looking burnt or discolored.
If you notice any transmission fluid leaks, bring it into Crown Transmissions as soon as you can. Sometimes a simple seal replacement can fix it, or it could be a sign of bigger problems.
- Come to a Complete Stop Before Shifting: If you are moving quickly between forward and reverse gears, try and come to a complete stop before shifting. This will help prevent unnecessary wear and tear.
- Routine Maintenance: Your transmission fluid should be changed every 15,000 miles. If you have a regular maintenance schedule with your dealership, then it will be taken care of during one of your major maintenance visits. If not, make plans to change your transmission fluid at the 15,000, 30,000, 45,000, 60,000 (and so on) milestones.
- Take Care of Your Engine: Just like your oil pan, your transmission also has its own dipstick that allows you to check fluid levels. Make sure the levels are good according to your owner’s manual and look for discoloration. Know what color your transmission fluid is supposed to be and get your car checked out if the fluid is looking burnt or discolored. If you notice any transmission fluid leaks, bring it into Crown Transmissions in Marietta as soon as you can. Sometimes a simple seal replacement can fix it, or it could be a sign of bigger problems.
- Take time to tune-up: Don’t miss your regular tune-up appointments. A faulty engine can wreak havoc on the transmission and can make it work harder than it should have to when shifting. Everything is connected in a car. Check your alignment, get your tune-ups, and take care of the overall health of the rest of your vehicle and your transmission will benefit.
With a little care, your transmission should serve you well. The benefits of putting a little effort into maintaining your transmission will pay off in reduced repair costs, increased reliability, and elimination of headaches later on!
CROWN TRANSMISSIONS IN MARIETTA GA – NEAR FULTON COUNTY ATLANTA
At Crown Transmissions, we take great pride in our ability to service your Modern Automatic Transmission. Contact our team today by calling (770)-956-1344. You can also visit our Facebook Page for ongoing tips and important updates. Schedule your appointment online today!
We offer transmission repairs, service and transmission rebuilds in Marietta Ga, (very near Fulton County).